Each lesson introduces the poetic form with a definition and example of the poetry covered. Then a step-by-step writing form leads students through the process of creating their own works of art. You’ll love Poetry Patterns & Themes because it:
- Supports 6-Trait writing. Activities are designed to build skills in each trait — ideas, organization, word choice, sentence fluency, voice, and conventions. And a trait-based writing guide at the beginning of the book makes it easy to see exactly which skills are being developed.
- Makes teaching poetry easy. Teacher pages explain each poetic form and give ideas for conducting lessons. Teaching more difficult types of poetry isn’t as daunting with guided instruction and step-by-step student writing forms.
- Inspires reluctant writers. A variety of traditional and non-traditional poetry forms makes writing fun!
- Addresses grade-appropriate topics and themes. It’s easy to implement poetry into your day when the poems address curricular themes. Use a poem to spice up an everyday lesson or try it as an extension activity.
- Includes resources and directions for creating a poetry portfolio. Portfolios work great for individual assessments and provide opportunities for class anthologies.
- Is correlated to state standards.
Each lesson in Poetry Patterns & Themes contains two components:
- A teacher page that describes the poetry form and pattern, shows one or more student-written examples, and gives suggestions for conducting the lesson.
- A reproducible student work form that guides students through the writing process for each poetry pattern using step-by-step directions. Many pages also provide an area where the completed poem can be written.
This resource contains teacher support pages, reproducible student pages, and an answer key.
You must be logged in to post a review.