The exercises in Explode The Code Book 3 begin with words that present y as a vowel, then progress to long vowels with silent-e, and finally to consonant and vowel digraphs. Students practice blending sounds to read and write one-syllable words that include digraphs and long vowel sounds. In addition, several review lessons are included.
• y as a vowel
• Consonant digraphs (sh, th, wh, ch, -tch, -ng, -ck)
• Vowel digraphs (ee, ea, ai, ay, oa, ow)
Explode The Code Book 4 introduces students to compound words, common word endings, and syllabication. Students practice blending sounds to read and write multi-syllabic words. The exercises also introduce students to syllable types and the rules of syllabication. In addition, several review lessons are included.
• Compound words
• Common word endings (-ful, –ing, –est, –ed, –ness)
• Syllable types (open, closed, Cle, silent-e, digraph)
• Syllabication with 2- and 3-syllable words
The Explode The Code Teacher’s Guide and Key, Books 3 & 4, expands on the skills presented in the student books, providing teachers with various options for instruction and reinforcement. The wide variety of activities may be adapted for whole-class, small-group, and one-on-one learning situations. Each lesson addresses the principles of effective reading instruction and follows the same easy-to-use format:
- Quick review/link to prior knowledge
- Phonemic and phonological awareness
- Completing student pages
- Differentiating instruction
- Post-test keys for Books 3 & 4
Explode The Code® has helped millions of students nationwide build the essential literacy skills needed for reading success: phonological awareness, decoding, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, and spelling.