Explode The Code Book 5 introduces students to the word endings –ed and –ey, word families including all–alk, old–olt–oll, ild–ind, the digraph qu, and 3-letter blends. Students practice blending sounds to read and write multi-syllabic words. In addition, several review lessons are included.
• Sounds of –ed
• Words ending in –ey
• Word families (all–alk, old–olt–oll, ild–ind)
• 3-letter blends (thr-, shr-, scr-, str-, spr-, spl-)
• qu words
Explode The Code Book 6 introduces students to the r-controlled vowels, silent letters (-igh), and vowel diphthongs. Students practice blending sounds to read and write multi-syllabic words. In addition, several review lessons are included.
• r-controlled vowels (ar, or, er, ir, ur, war, wor)
• Silent letters (-igh)
• Vowel diphthongs (oo, ea, ie, oi, oy, ou, ow, au, aw, ew, ui, ue)
The Explode The Code Teacher’s Guide and Key, Books 5 & 6, expands on the skills presented in the student books, providing teachers with various options for instruction and reinforcement. The wide variety of activities may be adapted for whole-class, small-group, and one-on-one learning situations. Each lesson addresses the principles of effective reading instruction and follows the same easy-to-use format:
- Quick review/link to prior knowledge
- Phonemic and phonological awareness
- Completing student pages
- Differentiating instruction
- Post-test keys for Books 5 & 6
Explode The Code® has helped millions of students nationwide build the essential literacy skills needed for reading success: phonological awareness, decoding, vocabulary, comprehension, fluency, and spelling.